When you’re in a hurry and don’t have much to choose from in your home, a quick and easy Italian meal can be just the thing to save the day. This recipe for Italian sausage and peppers can be made in just around twenty minutes. All you’ll need for this recipe is some bell peppers, precooked sausage, pasta, and tomatoes (canned or fresh). Preparation will just take a few minutes, and dinner is served. Read on for directions and the ingredient list!
- * 4 Italian sausages, precooked. Try using chicken sausage for lower fat, or vegetable stuffed like portobello mushroom.
- * 1 box uncooked pasta
- * 1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
- * 1 12 can crushed tomatoes
- * 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- * 4 whole bell peppers, 2 red, 2 green
- * 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- * 6 sundried tomatoes, diced
- * 1 teaspoon minced garlic
To cut the fat in this recipe,
try using chicken sausage, turkey sausage, and reduce the amount of olive oil by replacing with water. You can also opt for a multigrain pasta for up the fiber intake, and pass on the parmesan cheese on top. This will drastically reduce the calorie count of this meal!
Stock up on your favorite Italian sausage and freeze them so this meal can be made at a whim!
With traditional Italian sausage and peppers, you would use uncooked Italian sausage as well as onions, with or without tomato sauce. This recipe is a little bit different in that you’ll be adding pasta and your own quick sauce to make it an easy meal (which tastes great leftover).
1. Wash and de-seed the bell peppers. Cut the peppers into strips, then cut into smaller wedges or squares (not diced, approximately 2″ x 2″). Add the olive oil and peppers to a saucepan on medium heat. Saute the peppers and oil for five minutes, then adding the minced garlic.
2. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside while the sausage and peppers are cooking.
3. Add the sausage to the pepper mixture, along with the basil. Saute the sausage for 3-4 minutes, until thoroughly heated. Add the crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes to the mixture on medium heat. Simmer the sauce for 8-10 minutes.
4. Combine the sausage and peppers with the cooked pasta. Serve immediately and top with grated parmesan cheese.