In just around 35 minutes, you can have this delicious tortellini with peppers and eggplant dish right on your table. You won’t even have to make the tortellini from scratch, just buy the best cheese tortellinis you can find. Also, choose fresh eggplant and peppers at local farmstands. Avoid soft spots in your eggplants, and choose blemish free peppers (it doesn’t matter if they are shaped normally).
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic (fresh)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound cheese tortellinis
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley (or 1 Tablespoon dried parsley)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiana cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On medium heat, place a large skillet over the flame with olive oil. Add the minced garlic and saute for one minute. Add the eggplant and peppers and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the salt and pepper, sauteing the veggies until slightly softened (usually another 2 minutes).
- Add the red pepper flakes, stir for one minute.
- Add the tortellini and the vegetable broth. Simmer and stir occasionally, until the tortellini have absorbed most of the broth (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in the parsley and parmigiana cheese. Serve immediately with extra parmigiana cheese.
The intro tortellini photo is by jeffreyw on flickr.
To get in the mood for this recipe while you cook, be sure to pick up one of our original Italian t-shirts today!